Sunday, January 22, 2012

The 5K Approaches…

My first 5k is only a few short days away, and I have mixed feelings about it.  On the one hand, I will be happy for it to come and go so I can have this first race “under my belt.”  On the other hand, there is this anticipation of the first race that will never be recaptured.  By nature, I am not a competitive person AT ALL, so I merely want to finish (and I’m not just saying that to sound humble). Here are my specific race goals:

1.  Don’t die.

2.  Finish.

3.  Run at least 2 miles of the race.

4.  Finish in under an hour.

Here’s my philosophy.  This is my first race, so I will be setting my official time to beat.  I am not a fast runner.  By not fast runner, I mean that your grandma probably walks faster than I run, and I am OK with that!  This is my starting point, and there is no where to go but up from here.  It is an exciting place to be!  This morning I ran 2 miles with no problem.  Tuesday I will run 3 miles, Thursday I will go back to 2, and the race is on Saturday.  Hopefully I will have some pics to post.  One of my friends who is running will be finished and have been to get a mani/pedi by the time I finish, so I know I will have support with cell phone cameras at the end!  I am running the race with 3 very dear friends.  2 of them I have been friends with since elementary school!!  One of the girls and I were laughing last night that we can run longer and faster now than we could in elementary school.  She was my fierce competition for last place in the yearly “fun run.”  My how times change (and yet stay strangely the same.)

Here’s to hoping that my final week of training goes without a hitch!  5K here I come. 

2 comments:

  1. The excitement won't die afterward. It's a big accomplishment and you'll floating on those endorphins! You might even want t to do another one!

    And Katie really wear your name plastered across her shirt if you don't keep an eye on her......

    If you're running.....you're running faster than everyone still on the couch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait! And I bet money that even though both of us have lost a fun run (ha), neither of us will come in last at this thing! But even that doesn't matter. I'm so proud of you! You will be doing 300% more than you could do when you first started training. That's a pretty significant step!

    ReplyDelete